Hello Everyone! We haven't done "friday finds" blog post on here for a while. Honestly these blog posts are some of my favourites. I just love sharing and discussing interesting articles or videos I come across in my daily life, so the blog medium is a great way to do this with a wider audience. Feel free to express your opinions in the comments section. A healthy conversation is always a great way to come across various opinions/viewpoints and learn a whole lot more!
- In this animated video Dr Brene Brown discusses the power of empathy and more importantly the difference between sympathy and empathy. As a person who suffers from severe anxiety, this video really hit home in many ways.
- This video showcases exactly how ridiculous advertisements look due to the objectification of women, it's sad that one has to replace the women in these ads with men to realize this.
- So having an international development background I can go on and on about this topic. But poverty porn is real, it exists, it's a way of marketing the poor to the mostly western, northern hemisphere and it trivializes poverty. It's a misrepresentation of the poor and often leads to charity and not action or elicits this kind of behaviour. I found this article to be a great summary.
- So growing up I was a huge Spice girls fan, I mean I was hooked right from "wannabe", so it was interesting to read this article which states that scientists have found "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls as one of the most catchiest song out there!
- Lastly, this link is great, "how to become a designer without going to design school" - the title says it all. It provides many resources for us non design students out there. I have taken a couple of design courses but nothing major, so go ahead and check it out!