Friday Finds is a series that Footnotes and Finds runs every friday where we share interesting, informative and fun finds/links from around the web. Follow along!
1. The Oscar nominations were announced and many people, like myself, were upset with just how white the nominations were. In order to prevent an argument on meritocracy, I would like to say that the argument based on it doesn't hold. This is because there were actors of colour in roles that deserved an oscar nod, for example, Idris Elba for "Beasts of No Nation." What this just tells me and re-affirms for me is that the Oscars as an institution is biased towards white mediocrity.
This also sheds light on how Western everything (media, adverts, fashion, film, beauty etc) is made for the white, overlooking the fact that it is not only consumed by the white population. This article about the "10 ways the Beauty Industry Tells you Being Beautiful Means Being White" covers the struggle that a person of colour goes through when it comes to the beauty industry.
2. As some of you may know, through knowing me or through our twitter feed, I love samosas! They are my favourite comfort food and in the relatively healthy life I try to lead, it is one of my only food cheats I allow! So I was super excited to find this article outlining the short history of the samosa!
3. Loving this, this and this jacket under $100!
4. In recent months, MIA came out with her song "Borders," which discussed the plight of refugees and came out effectively during the time when the refugee crisis seemed to have reached a climax in the media. Now you can see her explanation of the video, her own refugee background, and why multiculturalism is important in this Al Jazeera interview.
5. If you love your art and documentaries this tiny video excerpt from John Mekas' "As I was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty" will surely make your day more wonderful!
This week on footnotes and finds1. The Black and White Dilemma
2. Montengro + Croatia: Travel Itinerary
3. Easy Egg Bhurji Recipe
From the Archives1. Buttery Cinnamon Buns
2. 5 New Favourite English Singer/Song writers
3. Top 5 Museums in Rome
Remember to follow along on our instagram,pinterest, twitter, facebook,and snapchat (@footnotesnfinds)